My recipe for Sweet Potato Pecan Pea Flour Pancakes with a Maple Yogurt Goat Cheese Sauce is graced with just the right amount of sweetness to tickle your fancy. It has lots of fiber and nutrients from the delicious wholesome ingredients and makes an impressive presentation when topped with your favorite fruits.
- 3/4 cup baked sweet potato, mashed without skin, about an 8 oz. potato
- 3/4 cup plain Greek style full fat yogurt
- 1 cup cashew, almond or coconut milk
- 2 large or 3 medium eggs
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups yellow pea or chick pea flour
- ¼ cup white rice flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup toasted chopped pecans or walnuts, reserve half for garnishing
- Coconut, peanut or grape seed oil for pancake griddle
Maple Yogurt Goat Cheese Sauce
¼ cup soft young goat cheese, room temperature
¼ cup plain Greek style whole milk yogurt
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons dark rum or cognac
Warm water or nut milk to thin the sauce to your desired consistency if necessary.
For the Pancakes
- In a large bowl whisk together all the wet ingredients until well combined.
- In a second bowl, sift together the dry ingredients except the nuts.
- Stir the nuts into the sifted dry ingredients.
- Heat the pan or griddle on medium heat, lightly brushing with oil between pancakes.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until the bottom of the batter seems browned and firm.
- Flip the pancakes and cook for them for another 3-4 minutes.
- Repeat with the rest of batter.
For the Sauce
- Whisk all the ingredients together until smooth and satiny.
- Serve the pancakes topped with the sauce.
- Top each dish with fruit and sprinkle with the reserved nuts.
1. Keep the finished pancakes in a 200 degree F oven while finishing the rest.
2. Thin the sauce with warm water or nut milk if desired.
3. Use fresh mixed berries in season or sliced stone fruits such as nectarines
and plums for topping the pancakes.
If you cannot get pea flour you can substitute 1 1/2 cups red fife wheat flour or all-purpose flour for the pea flour and rice flour combination.